badge

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I first read it in grade 6 and fell in love with it. I remember finishing it way before my classes started and used to stand up for reading out loud in class. All in my class found it boring but I read it over and over again and no wonder scored the highest in the tests. :)
last I read it in 2013 when at home I happened to find the book tugged away in an old trunk

Jane Eyre is not a pure romance novel. Despite its complexity, though, the heart and soul of Jane Eyre is the passionate love between Jane and her employer, Edward Rochester, and it's their love story that is the most memorable element of the novel.

The fact that both the protagonists are not any beauties- it adds to the realism.
Jane's childhood at Gateshead Hall, where she is emotionally and physically abused by her aunt and cousins; her education at Lowood School, where she acquires friends and role models but also suffers privations and oppression; her time as the governess of Thornfield Hall, where she falls in love with her Byronic employer, Edward Rochester; her time with the Rivers family, during which her earnest but cold clergyman cousin, St John Rivers, proposes to her; and the finale with her reunion with, and marriage to, her beloved Rochester ,whom she had left without a word after she comes to know of his estranged wife locked up in his house.
Both Jane and Rochester are such passionate characters, but Jane's passion is tempered with sense, while Rochester is all sensibility. Despite her social powerlessness Jane is one of the strongest women characters in fiction and by sticking to her principles she is rewarded with true love. 

 There are few novels that have hit me with such force as this one, and few that I love to re-read as much.
If you haven't read this book, I envy you that first experience

No comments:

Post a Comment